Wednesday, June 14, 2006

This is my 15 minute writing exercise

I just decided, I will write for about 15 minutes, whatever comes to my mind. The easiest thing to probably write about is related to the books I have been reading. 2006 has been a great year for me in that, I rekindled my passion for reading. However, now I have turned to non-fiction and I am lucky to have read quite a few very good books. Books that I read recently

  1. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell : I was absolutely floored by this book. It was definitely a page turner for me. Borrowed from the library, but I am going to get a copy for myself.
  2. Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell : I didn't quite take to it as I did with 'Blink'. Maybe I had too high of an expectation after reading Blink. Borrowed from the library and had to return it before I was done. I am going to buy this. I need to re-read this.
  3. Freakonomics : Wasn't quite impressed, read it only half way through. Need to finish it.
  4. Love is the Killer App - Tim Sanders : Another book that floored me and had a great influence on me. Take aways.
    • Importance and the significance of reading good books. Also, how to read a business book.
    • Building relationships. This has changed my outlook on how I deal with my friends or any new people I meet.
  5. Beyond Code - 9 ways to Distinguish yourself by Rajesh Setty: Very good book. It has practical advice and to me it's a cliff notes version of all the wisdom in various business books.
  6. Automatic Homeowner Millionaire by David Bach : Garbage.
  7. World is flat by Tom Friedman - Another excellent book.
  8. The Monk and the Riddle: The Art of Creating a Life While Making a Living - Decent book that tells you the importance of doing what you really love, right now, instead of postponing it to 'after achieveing xxxx' date.
  9. Million little pieces - James Frey: GARBAGE. Thorougly enjoyed reading it, but once I realized the lies behind this supposedly non-fiction, I am putting this under GARBAGE category.
  10. The Radical Edge : Stoke Your Business, Amp Your Life, and Change the World -- BORING. Has an important message, but the message could have been conveyed with the same effectiveness using a single blog post, instead of a book.

Currently Reading:

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion - Thoroughly enjoying it so far.


Books to Read:
  1. Purple Cow: Transform Your Business by Being Remarkable [Hardcover] by Godin
  2. The Art of the Start : The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything.
  3. The Big Moo : Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  4. MANAGING THE PROFESSIONAL SERVICE FIRM [Hardcover] by Maister, David H.
  5. The Likeability Factor : How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  6. Good to great - Jim Colins
  7. The Automatic Millionaire : A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich
  8. How to Win Friends & Influence People - Dale Carnegie (Re-read)
  9. Economics in One Lesson
  10. Think and Grow Rich: The Andrew Carnegie formula for money making
  11. Richest Man in Babylon
My goal is to read 24 books this year.
(This post actually took close to 25 minutes).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home